Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I thought I should update this as people occasionally still stop by.  I guess that means not everyone has given up the fight to control their torpedo grass.  Most people in my area have simply surrendered.

To sum up the current situation, I have the torpedo grass on the run.  I certainly haven't eradicated it, but with frequent spraying using any product containing the active ingredient "sethoxydim", I can keep it from growing.  It takes about 2 weeks to see the initial results, but with regular spraying I actually feel I am winning the war.  It is a war of attrition I'll admit, but I am winning.  Now, if I just live long enough I can claim victory.

Just to reinforce... sethoxydim only works on centipede lawns.  It kills St Augustine, or so I've been warned.  Of course I haven't tried it, but if the instructions say don't do it, it's probably a good idea not to test it out.  An upside for me, it also kills Bermuda Grass... another bane of the south.  I hate Bermuda too, although not as much as torpedo grass.  Anyway, I also control infestations of Bermuda when spraying for the torpedo grass.

The downside... it is expensive.  I pay around $50 for a pint bottle of the grass killer I use (see earlier updates) and it takes 4 gallons of mix, or 4 ounces of grass killer, to cover my infected area.  With only 16 ounces in a pint, I can get 4 sprays out of a pint.  I'm spraying every 1 1/2-2 weeks so I go through 3-4 bottles each summer.  Not everyone is willing to pay $200/year to fight what seems to be a never-ending battle.



I'll try to remember to publish some updated photos later.  Good luck if you're fighting the same battle.

I'm not promoting this product.  This is the only product I can find with the active ingredient "sethoxydim".  It works on torpedo grass in centipede, to some extent.
 
7-10 days after spraying with sethoxydim you will see the last growing tip of the torpedo grass turn yellow.  Gradually the growing tip will die back.
 
This was an area I accidently spilled "weed and feed" in early spring.  It killed my centipede, but the torpedo grass was elated to have food and space.  It flourished briefly until I began my Spring spraying campaign.  That dead grass in the middle is torpedo grass after several treatments over 2-3 months.  The Centipede is beginning to retake the vacant area.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. How is your battle going this year? I live in Ormond Beach, Fl. I have spots of torpedo grass that I spray/paint on to avoid over spray onto my St. Augustine grass. For some reason this year new spots have started and I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually feel pretty good about my progress. I still have to broadcast spray over my infected areas, but the areas are smaller now. When I see the torpedo grass in a couple of weeks pop up in spots I may have missed, I can then spot spray. I still have to spray, but I'm definitely ahead of the game. I don't know what you can do with St. Augustine since you can't use Sethoxydim.

    Remember, the roots, which are almost as large as your finger in some areas, can last for months/years underground and still be viable. The only way to kill it is through attrition. By never allowing it to produce green leaves to produce and store food in the roots, over time it has to starve to death... I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete