Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 2013 Torpedo Grass Battle Update

I've been in the torpedo grass battle for about 4 years now.  Only the last 3 have I actually been spraying aggressively.  Looking back, I must admit there were times when I didn't think I could win.  But looking back at pictures of my lawn before I started spraying, and comparing those with new photos, it is clear that I'm ahead in the struggle.

Look at this original picture from July 2009...  Those dead looking areas were places I was sitting on the ground (for hours) and painstakingly painting the torpedo grass tips with Roundup and a very tiny brush.  As you can see, the entire lawn area in the picture was infested with the exception of the far right from the trees to the fence.  It is hard to tell from the photo, but torpedo grass is the dominate grass in the entire area.

 
Now, fast forward to today, August 4, 2013 and look at the same area.  I'd like to say there was no torpedo grass left, but that would be a lie.  However, where once it was the dominate grass, it now is getting scarce and the centipede is flourishing. 
 

 
I do still broadcast spray this area with sethoxydim, but now I can spot spray pop-ups and keep the torpedo at bay.
 
Here is a picture of torpedo popping up in this lawn area, even though it was broadcast about 10 days ago.  Obviously this torpedo tip had not yet surfaced when sprayed, or perhaps it was just hidden under a centipede sprig.  Regardless, I can now come back and spray this pop-up and keep the entire torpedo infestation on the run.
 
If you've been following this from the beginning, here is a 2009 picture of the other lawn area infested with torpedo grass.  Look for a distinct color change on the back half of the picture.  That entire area was overrun with torpedo grass.
 
Here is a current photo (Aug. 4, 2013) of the same area.  The torpedo grass is hardly noticeable.  It is still there, but certainly not in the quantity is was 4 years ago.
 
As I said, it is still here as seen in the photo below.
If you look closely you can see the torpedo grass pop-ups, but considering 4 years ago torpedo grass was dominate, I can definitely say I am winning the battle.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I will never understand this warm fuzzy feeling about lawns. Firstly, they're boring. Secondly, turf grasses are invasive weeds that infiltrate and take over entire prairies. Bermuda and KBG are as invasive as the Torpedo. I think your entire lawn is an invasive weed and you should pull the entire thing up and plant something native. The reason I am looking at these sites is specifically because removing and eradicating my front lawn has become such a tiresome battle. When I win I am planting a coastal prairie with native, cool-season bunch grasses that make room for wildflowers to grow. It'll probably be the first and only native setting on my turf-grass infested street.

    ReplyDelete