Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July 2014 Update

Yes, I'm still battling the torpedo grass in my yard.  This year I was unable to find the Sethoxydim product I have been using in previous years (pictures on previous pages), but was able to purchase a product called Vantage, which contains Sethoxydim. I'm posting a couple of pictures taken about 3 weeks after a recent application.  Vantage recommends 2 different mixtures depending on infestation.  Of course I chose the stronger application since I'm battling something that never get killed.  I believe that was 3 tablespoons per gallon.  I'm happy with the results.

The yellow grass is the dead tips of the torpedo grass in the midst of my centipede yard.
I pulled off one of the torpedo grass tips to show how far back the torpedo grass has been killed. 
the Vantage clearly hasn't killed the torpedo grass, but it definitely stops it from growing.  A constant spraying program keeps it from feeding the roots and spreading.  Since my infestation isn't nearly as bad as earlier years I believe it actually causes some of the rhizomes to die eventually, but not without constant spraying.

We had a pretty hard winter here in South Louisiana in 2013/2014.  I noticed the torpedo grass was very slow to start growing again this spring.  I guess that explains why people further north have no problem with it.  It appears unable to survive harsh winters.  I'd almost welcome a very harsh winter just to kill off some of this stuff!  But that would kill my orange trees, so I guess not.

Till next time!

 

4 comments:

  1. I want to rid myself of Bermuda grass and torpedo grass as well. It ivades my flowerbeds from the lawn. Thanks for your blog and good luck to us both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sethoxydim will stunt both Bermuda and torpedo grass in centipede. Good luck with your battle! My son in law has St Augustine grass in his yard, so there is nothing he can do about the Torpedo grass, but is able to stop it from growing in his beds by treating it with Roundup when it pops up inside the beds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIked reading your posts and seeing photos. Living in panhandle of Fl (Destin) we too are fighting torpedograss in centipede grass. My husband is now out in the heat painting the torpedograss. Should he give up on that and just spray or do both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. Torpedo grass is a most frustrating pest. If your infestation is small then painting is certainly worthwhile. I had some small areas infestations that I was able to completely eliminate the torpedo grass by repeated applications of Roundup to the growing tips. Even in small area it takes repeated applications. The rhizome will never be killed by the Roundup, but you may eventually starve it to death by depriving it of food from green leaves. I used the pain method around the edges of my larger areas just to keep it contained, but have since abandoned that method. I think the spraying with a Sethoxydim product is just as effective for preventing it from spreading. I'll be posting a new update soon with new photos and my latest efforts at completely eliminating the torpedo grass.

    ReplyDelete